Maple City is an unincorporated community of Kasson Township in Leelanau County, Maple City had its beginnings in 1866 when William Parks and J. T. Sturtevant built a shoe peg factory on land containing several hundred acres of maple timber, and the community that grew up around it was at first known as “Peg Town”. Today, a pizza restaurant in Maple City goes by the village’s original name: “Pegtown Station”.
Cedar is a small unincorporated community in Leelanau county. It was founded in approximately 1885 by lumberman Benjamin Boughey. He named it Cedar City because it was in a cedar forest. The depot on the Manistee and Northeastern Railroad continued to be known as Cedar City. In 1905, the Cedar State Bank opened, which survived the Great Depression in 1933. The Cedar area was a settlement for many Polish immigrants; each year in July, Cedar is host to the annual Cedar Polka Festival, which began in 1975.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.